Re: Re: Zoe Keating in NY Times article.@borisfx.com

On 1/31/2013 1:16 PM, Daniel Thomas wrote:
where I play, weekly,  couldn't possibly afford to pay more.............for them,  it's a labor of love to have Jazz at their establishment and they are also struggling
financially.

I think perhaps I offended you, Rick.  It was not at all my intention--  if I did , I apologize.  Surely you know, my brother, bandmate and friend, that you have my total respect.

No, not in the slightest,  Daniel.      I just have my own perspective on playing out in the world that the one you
have (both are equally valid).

No disrespect meant Rick, but you seriously can't get gigs that make you more than $50 in Santa Cruz?

None taken.    And it has been tough,  but I do know that I'm trying to get jazz gigs and I'm new to that
scene so I have to establish myself a little, which I've been doing.

I was the number one sub drummer for 150 bands from Sacramento to Big Sur for many, many years, but
I left that world when i was able, for the first time to live entirely off of my idiosyncratic solo artistry for the first
several years of last decade.      Getting back into that world again,  has proven to be very difficult because the number
of high paying gigs, corporate gigs, wedding and club gigs have dwindled to a trickle.     I talk to local professional
musicians who are out in the trenches making all of their living only playing live (I don't see how it's possible, frankly)
but it's a new world.    It's even a lot worse from a mere 2 or 3 years ago.

I don't at all discount your experience.   I have tremendous respect for you as an artist, a manager, a mover of people and a dear friend.
I just don't have the exact same kind of experience doing what I"m doing.

I'm ambitious, though,  and am looking into all kinds of things to get income back up again,  some of which are very promising.
Gigging in the Jazz scene probably wont' be one of them, though (although I also am working towards upping that work too).

much respect, Daniel.

Rick