Re: live voice looping and beyond

Its funny how when an artist gets a modicum of success, suddenly everyone starts dissing them, saying "oh hes just cheating with his fancy gear, and look at all the hype and marketing he does".

Beardyman has been around for YEARS, YEARS I tell ya! and he started by winning some pure beat-boxing competitions and performing on the street during Edinburgh fringe. He was funny and extremely talented. He has worked and worked and worked at what he does in the pubs around England.
I dint take much interest as I hate beat boxing. But im a gear-head and a looper, so when I saw him do some amazing things with a couple of kaos pads, I started to like what he did. That he "does things to he voice that make it sound like something else" is just GREAT by me, Christ!!! Isnt that why we are on this list cos we LIKE effects and looping, Aint looping just a teeny tiny bit like cheating too huh?
As for the marketing, Well I can assure you.. (Ive been there) that when music becomes your career you need people! Them people get you in magazines, put you on the telly, and get you to say that this soap washes whiter or that these drum stick are the coolest. And ok, Its a bit lame... but thats marketing, and the reason we, as good honest and un-corruptable musos have managed to keep ourselves from this despicable and evil practice, is because... we make weird shit music that no-one wants to listen to.
The second we sell more than 1000 records, I promise you wed all be doing the same. Now Beardyman, does he even MAKE records? What can he sell? Surely he just a live guy? Tell me if Im wrong. I certainly wouldnt buy a record of his, who needs a beat box version of gabba techno mixed with country western in a song about a snail? (Hmm well on the other hand)

Anyway. Beardyman rocks!

Mark