Re: "Repetition defines music"

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:46 AM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
is it
*avoid repetition* as principle
or
avoid *repetition as principle*

A fair point.

What I meant with my perhaps too glib response was that music doesn't have to be repetitive in form to be repetitive in nature. I, like Stefan and perhaps many on this list, listen to both extremely repetitive works, and works which are usually considered avant garde and that have little to no repetition. Even still, I often find the listening experience between two or three different examples within each type to be more repetitive for the non-repetitive pieces. Of course that is simply one personal perspective which by no means counters another.

Perhaps my point is this, is anything music if we don't repeat the assertion that it is so? The distinction between sound and music could be arbitrary, or it might not, but what surely matters is that the distinction be repeated for it to make any sense.