Re: OT: Sound reinforcement

As long as I can recall I have been suffering from looking too stupid
in headphones. That's not a good starting point but the shortcoming
has had the good effect of forcing me to work out other solutions.
What I've often been doing now for the last decade is to bring two
Genelec 8030's active small studio monitors. They have a volume knob
on the front place and it is a matter of a few seconds to dial in the
suitable volume to match the location of you on stage, the location of
the Genelecs and the sound you hear acoustically from your fellow
musicians as well as the FOH speakers and other stage monitoring.
Sometimes I put the on the floor in front of me but other times I put
them behind me on chairs, it all depends on the situation and that
also means most performing situation can be handled well.

When using electric instrument like guitars, Stick or EWI it is dirt
simple but when playing acoustic instruments (sax, flute) the
challenge jumps at you rather aggressively. My trick here is to put a
volume pedal right after my acoustic microphone so and I have
practiced to play with that pedal so much that I can close the input
line between even fast notes - in fact I often use the pedal to sculpt
the note attack so in that essence my volume pedal becomes part of the
instrument played.

Well, that's it. No more to say on this. Good luck!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen