Triple play again

No, it's not my assumption, it's my reasoning.
Were I to follow the DSP experts then the limit is firmly set
at one period.

Basically you can't measure something before it's happened.

Indeed.
Not sure though the note extraction is that quick. I do indeed remember also that Axon/terratec stuff did extract pitch information from the transient, then confirming/following using conventional pitch to midi. I *seeem* to remember the best tracking at the time meant a processing time of about 15ms.
Tablet/PC softwares claim 6 ms (though it did not check the reality of the claim). If not deluded, a 100 Hz fundamental would mean a period of 10ms. But transient extraction if accurate wouldn't have to wait for a full period ?

And we can't exclude a newer tech appearing that would use other means. We already had some (fretboard scanning, light p/up,…)

Not really, it's physics.
Unless by alt means you intend to use something other than the regular hex p/u.

Basically any new approach would do. Like transient analysis was when first introduced.
I think the divided p/up is dead. Too bad as I defaced many of my guitars with Gk2, GK2a and GK3.
But the soft on my iPad works pretty well with the regular out of the guitar.

I have owned and still use a Roland GR50, a Yamaha G50 ( a rebadged  Axon NGC 77) and an Axon AX100Mk2.

Provided I use the internal sounds, the old GR50 yields better results than the latters on tapping, hammer-on and pull-off techniques.
My guess was always that it used internally pitch to voltage tech
while using pitch to midi for the midi out hence explaining why the
built in sound did not match the midi out at the same time (I checked).

More likely the internal sounds are derived from the audio from the pickups.

I'm not really familiar with the various Roland editions but if you
wanna believe what you hear on Looper's Delight the situation
seems to be.

1) Roland stuff is a bit slower on Midi conversion
2) Some Roland models use the p/u audio directly, so 'tracking' is excellent.

I don't think any Roland gear does pitch to voltage,

GR300 ?

but if it did the physics is still the same in terms of
how fast you can identify the pitch.

Well if of course you want to output midi datas… But this is another story and off topic here.

No, but it has the most unappealing computer soundcard wavetable synth on board that
you ever heard!

Oh dear yes. If you check 'cheezy' in a dictionary, they got this picture of the AX100 wavetable chip.

They both have the same tech, but neither machine is built by Axon.
Terratec used the Axon name however.

The G50 even provides functions not available on the latter like octave transposing switches using S1/s2 switches.

..and the mono input is handy.
Oh yea it is. And all this explaining why I still have it.
But i still have a vortex and a lex JamMan, so…

Yeah, that's genius, but more directed towards autogenerating a score than real time playing.

Erm well not. I use it on the iPad to drive synths with network midi.

I've discussed this with Bill Walker and I think he'd agree that the future
lies in using the pitch info to control effects that work on the
audio from the string.
e.g. filter frequency tracking note

But then VG8/88/99 use pitch info and dynamics to run elaborate filters.
Provided you like them, this things offer a whole new world of guitar driven synthesis.
(still use a 99 and sometimes a 8)

I don't think the guys who used it to play piano wavetables helped the case much :-)
But then Monolith was promising, isn't it ? as well as Gareth's GR though I could never run it properly in cubase…

Olivier