Re: logic problem

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 12:03 AM, mark francombe <markfrancombe@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi, Im still using Logic Pro 9... no reason to change...
> today I got some quirky shit. main one was that when in the paino roll,
> dragging notes up and down DID NOT play them, OR mouse clicking the
> vertical
> piano.. the saome.. silence!!
> The notes play once dropped, but its almost totally unusable.

Two possible causes for that behavior: If a different instrument track
is selected in the tracks area (arrange window) than the one hosting
the region which content you are editing in the piano roll editor.

In the piano roll editor you might have accidently deselected the
sound playback option? There's an icon up left in the piano roll
window.

> I also had trouble stopping the song at one stage, it was locked inside 2
> loop points and would not stop, no matter HOW hard I hit the space bar..
> and
> I hit it VERY HARD after a while! Mouse clicking the stop button didn't
> work.. the only kind of clicking that worked was the FORCE QUIT kind of
> clicking... and frankly that sucked having just played a sensitive and
> emotionally difficult piano track...
> ... ok I lied about the piano part.. it was just some random atmos noise
> was contructing out of a few layers... anyway.. lost it...

That's just your healthy daily slam of Murphy's Law. Shit like that
happens with computers and the only way to deal with it is to save
your work before every new step. If not using Logic 10+ of course,
because from this version all your work is "sand-boxed", meaning that
when a crash occurs you are given the option to load the lost work,
from a temporary "fuck-you-murphy" buffer on the drive, when you boot
up again.

> Any Ideas? Have Apple put a timer on old versions?

No. According to German law software companies have to keep up full
support for at least five years, on obsolete products.

> Note... I have not
> upgraded to El Crapitan... no way this machine would handle that... my
> laptop was killed by taht crap... Yep.. This computer has been running
> Logic
> fine for years... with this OS... So Ideas?

Keep the setup that is working! Only amateurs upgrade "for the sake of
running the current stuff". The don't know they are guinea pigs :-)

But I think you could upgrade Logic to the current version. CPU load
is lower, filters and compressors sound better and you get Alchemy 2!
Alchemy is such an awesome synth/sampler. Very fast for coming up with
cool sounds, especially in the morphing domain - you just wiggle a
joystick around the remix pad and record that as automation; morphing
continously/sliding between 8 different settings of all damn
parameters in the synth. I remember when we were talking in Bill W's
garden 5,5 years ago and you showed me that nice little PC music
production software (Audio Much?) that could handle multiple tracks as
nodes to morph between. Alchemy has that in the synth and now all
those lovely expensive soundpacks that CamelAudio produced are part of
Logic and comes for free as the default library. And they sound better
and tax less CPU cycles too.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com