Re: New to looping/processing

Rich Lamphear wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm an acoustic guitarist/singer/composer and I'm getting interested in
>the
> concept of looping and processing the acoustic guitar.  I'm intrigued
>with
> the idea of extending my solo guitar and voice concept to incorporate new
> sounds, textures, and rhythms via electronics.
>
> I've got a little money to throw at this (~$1500) and I'd like some
>advice
> on how I might best spend the money.
>
> My idea is to install a decent quality pickup on my acoustic, something
> that would maintain a reasonable amount of the acoustic guitar timbre
> before sending it to processing.  I've heard good things about the
>Sunrise
> and McIntyre pickups for this type of application.
>
> The Echoplex Digital Pro seems the clear choice for a looper.  Has
> availability of these improved lately?  (sorry if it's a faq, just joined
> the list).  I did phone Thoroughbred Music and they had three in stock,
>but
> no pedalboards.
>
> In addition, I'd like a multifx box to do standard digital processing for
> both the guitar and the voice.  My main question revolves around the
>issue
> of stereo processing.  Do you really need 2 Echoplexes to get a decent
> stereo sound happening?  Do most people running stereo process first (add
> reverb, flange, etc.) and then go into 2 Echoplexes?  Or do people loop
> first and then send the mono looped signal into a stereo processor and
> output from there?
>
> My choices (for around $1500) seem to be:
> 1) Echoplex mono into good quality multifx to stereo output.
> 2) El cheapo multifx stereo output into 2 Echoplexes operating in sync.
>
> Any advice to help me think about this would be much appreciated.  It
>sure
> would be great to be able to do both the processing and looping in a
>single
> box, but I don't think anything like that's on the market....correct?
>
> thanks,
> Rich

  corret I suppose, if you don't like samplers and sequencers...  cause a
sampler w/ a fair amount of memory could do everything you need ( i
believe,
barring you're short on equipment).   Emu's from a couple of years age
should
be well within your price range by now, in fact you may even end up having
couple bucks left over to buy tape with!     Echoplex's are fine and fun,
but I
really think there's a little bit too much emphasis being placed on how
great
the Echoplex really is here in Looper's Delight...   No arguement here
against
how fun an Echoplex is, but as far as I' concerned, the Echoplex's user
interface is far tooo Eco-com-plex for me, at least right now.   Without
spending mucho-dinero on processing equipment to clean up/fatten up the
sound
of your acoustic guitar before it hits the plex, I don't think you'll get
what
your looking for out of this unit...   I would recommend getting a hold of
Jam Man w/ full memoery and both footswitches first, there are plenty of
them
around on this list.  If you are fully comfortable w/ the Jam Man, and
still
aren't getting what you want from this box( which is mono- a vortex) then
drop
some loot on an echoplex pro.

                    Good luck navigating the stagnant waters of technology
                    pro-bono-its a bad day to do decisions.     :():