Re: ambient & otherwise

poppycock ... Fripp is a guitar player not the Dali Lama ... or if I am to
go on the assumption that we are all the DL, then (yawn), fine, Fripp is
the DL, and so am I ... I guess I am tiring of the ambient, techno-babble
about his relative worth as a human next to everyone else and how
serious-minded his "performances" are or are not.  The experience of him
recently was borrish and uninspired ... and yeah yeah ... there is little
to connect with and I found it offensive that he appeared to be judging
anyone who didn't arrive 30 minutes prior to the stated witching hour.
Spare me.

There is something a bit too self-congratulatory about all this ... play
the guitar

At 1:00 AM 2/4/98, Reginald Hunt wrote:
>Response to Miko Biffle:
>
>>>Unfortunately, the human animal can suffer from the tendency to follow
>>>sheep-like (or lemming-like). Ambient music has suffered from its
>contingent
>>>of brain dead devotees, as has Fripp. Originally, ambient music was not
>>>intended as a hypnotic tranquilizer (which looping inherently lends
>itself
>>>to). It was meant as music which operates equally on different levels of
>>>awareness simultaneously. Persons who assume that loopers are into
>ambient
>>>music by default, are a type of bigot. But don't damn a style of music
>for
>>>that.
>
>>Does this imply that 'bad' ambient music has actually impaired our
>ability to
>>perceive Mr. Fripp? How nasty of the mediocrities.
>
>>I'm not sure how 'ambient' music was originally intended. Was there a
>group
>>charter for the genre or something? Or are we now following sheep-like,
>some
>>authority on the subject? I'd like to think that even the most unassuming
>person
>>who purchases *any* cheesy sounds to alter their environment, is somehow
>taking
>>a rather active measure to alter their experience somehow. Most
>commendable!
>
>I'm not referring to good or bad anything. Even the herd-instinct has
>value.
>But,
>like any other music form, heavy-metal, dance, whatever, ambient gets a
>bad
>reputation
>from a certain segment of the audience and performers who cause it to
>stagnate. To get a feel
>for ambient's original goal, Eno is always a good source. Ther are some
>web
>sites
>that feature useful quotes of his.
>
>>Bigot? Let they without sin cast the first stone! Those mindless drones
>have
>>infected us all... Animals indeed!
>
>My use of the word "bigot" goes by its strict definition. It is not a sin,
>but is indeed
>a mindset (again by definition).
>
>>>Fripp has always been an acquired taste. His explorations extend beyond
>>>music per se. He has always questioned the audience-performer
>relationship,
>>>and the effect of the music business on musicians. His actions at
>>>performances are reflective of all that and probably more. He's never
>been
>>>about being a "hot" player. The many comments I've seen here and
>elsewhere
>>>asking why he doesn't "rip it up", or about him leavng the stage and
>>>observing the audience, shows a lack of understanding about the artist.

> [...]

Paul Poplawski, Ph.D.
email = ppoplawski@state.de.us  or  paulpop@ssnet.com
phone (service) = 302/737-4491    weekday office = 302/577-4980