] [Thread Prev
New Mailing List Archive!
Ok folks, after months of development,
It's time for the
Grand Unveiling of the exciting, new:
** Looper's Delight Mailing List Archive **
As you've no doubt noticed, the old archive was updated extremely
infrequently. In fact, nothing has been added to it for 9 months now! This
is because it required me to update it MANUALLY, which I hated doing. Very
tedious, blow a whole weekend sort of a thing. Additionally, the old
archive was difficult to navigate and it was nearly impossible to find
specific bits of information in it. So it sucked universally.
(I left it on the site, if you still want to check the old archives for
some reason. http://www.annihilist.com/loop/archive/archive.html )
The new archive, on the other hand, kicks ass. Here's what we've got:
- updated automatically, each day
- every mail converted to an html page, for easy browsing
- lots o' navigational links, for easy navigating
- Date index
- Thread index
- Author index
- automatically split by month, to keep index sizes sane
- a very speedy search engine with all sorts of helpful features
- provision of the actual mailbox files, so you can download
a month of mail and view it in your own mail program as you
would any other mail.
- various other goodies, like handling attachments, handling mime,
converting URLs and email addresses into live links, etc, etc.
This all comes to us courtesy of the Free Software Movement. Amazing
software, created by remarkably talented people, given away free just to
make the world a better place. I can't tell you how happy I am that such
things are possible, cause there's no way in hell I could have written this
stuff! (only downside is those clever unix hackers have no sense of
aesthetics at all, so some of it is a little ugly. but beggars can't be
Special thanks to Arthur Gatesy, who provided me a lot of help and tips in
the beginning so that I was able to get the rest pieced together and setup
by myself. Thanks Art!
One thing: the new archive is big! All your chatter over the years is about
20MB of text. The html version is about 80MB. Altogether, the archive is
over 100MB! I had to increase my disk allotment for this, which means more
$$$ :-(. The only expected revenue for Looper's Delight is the CD projects,
so for those of you working on that, get crackin'! Otherwise, I'll have to
embarass myself with shameless begging.
For you geeky types who like to know these things, the archive uses the
- procmail and a procmail recipe to create monthly mailbox archives
- Mhonarc, the awesome program by Earl Hood that converts mail to html
- The Glimpse search engine
- Wilma, by Jason Tibbitts and David Wolfe - the scripts which tie
Mhonarc and Glimpse together, managing the search indexer and
providing the search interface and the top archive page.
- runs on a linux machine with Apache web server.
- I can tell you more if anyone cares.
Check it out, have fun, let me know if you have any problems!
Kim Flint | Looper's Delight
firstname.lastname@example.org | http://www.annihilist.com/loop/loop.html
http://www.annihilist.com/ | Loopers-Delightemail@example.com