RE: musicality vs. gear quality (was Re: loop mud)

> I'm as much of a sucker for der rackadum fulla
> blinkenlichten as
> anybody else, but this is sort of a koan, eh?  If
> the machine is
> involved in making the music, why separate?

i guess that you are right...but for me being one of
the former anti-digital music maker people it can be
frustrating seeing people using the technology to just
spit back factory created beats and the such and call
it their own just bugs me.  but that's just me...i'm
more impressed by a guy creating a cool beat with a
few pencils and different things to bang on then
someone just turning nobs altering the sound of dr.
dre's latest creation and calling it their own.  i'm
also really a huge fan of vocal jams (where people
sing skat like music and create sounds in a musical
manner with their voices)...but that all stems from my
approach to improvisation and layering of music where
every instrument is a compliment to every other
instrument as opposed to a duplicate found in many of
today's popular songwriters who think that a good bass
part is just the root note of the chords of the
song...but then again, i'm digging deeper into my own
personal preferences to make generalizations...my bad.

> I have
> a phrase that I keep
> handy for describing a musical situation wherein the
> artist appears to
> be much more concerned with method and process and
> technology than the
> actual sounds --"I don't like it".

i'm impressed by someone who can create the sound of a
door opening using instruments and wave modulation as
opposed to just opening a door, but i guess the thing
that bugs me is when someone creates that sound and
they couldn't do it again.  and again, i'm digressing
even further into my own pet peves about music and
musicians that i've encountered.  i think i'm just
having a tough day...

> Of course, I'm
> generally kinder
> with my opinions regarding people who are actually
> out there, engaging
> in the rare, beautiful and endangered act that is
> Live Music.  Me?  I'm
> just a hack who hasn't done anything live for 10
> years.

right on...if you aren't doing it for the love, then
what are you doing it for?

> This sounds a lot like some of the whole DJ vs.
> Musician thing we had
> quite a while back.

dj's are great...people who mix tracks and nothing
more...doesn't impress me, but i have a friend who
does it and what impresses me is his ability to pick
the right tunes at the right times...but not his
fading abilities...

people who scratch records and add effects to
music...that is live spontaneous composition and quite
musical in my opinion (damn, there is that word
again).

> Personally, if you like to
> listen to it, it's
> music, right?

i'd say if you like to listen to it, then you like
it...i wouldn't necessarily call it music.  i like to
listen to running water, i don't look at it as music,
and i'd like to stay away from getting into "nature's
music."  i also find the sound of static fairly
fascinating...

> Any arbitrary line in the sand
> between musicality and
> non-musicality is really a matter of preference,
> yes?  I'm sure that
> boundary could be qualified by each of us, but that
> whole process smells
> like 'opinion' to me.

agreed and thanks for the intelligent comments on the
subject (as opposed to challenging me to showcase my
abilities for some unknown reason...by the way, i'm
still waiting for a reply, david)...and i am curious
about people's opinions on the issue.  if you feel
like you'd prefer to keep them off list to avoid
getting bashed by those who think that they are better
than you by claiming that you think you are better
than them (does that make any sense to anyone? even
me?), feel free to email me privately...i love these
discussions and love to hear the views of list members
on such topics.

> Here here.  Of course, I think I have a fairly
> easily blown mind.  Last
> night I hooked up a Kaoss pad with a strat and a
> piece of my mind made
> it all the way to the neighbor's porch.

usually in those instances, i find that the reason my
mind is blown is that i'm shocked that i am the one
creating those sounds...i'm always blowing my own my
mind...and i wouldn't have it any other way!

> swings wildly from
> incredibly useful threads about compression to very
> abstract threads
> about approach and preference and musicality and
> heavy philoloopical
> musings.  For me, warts and all, this list is
> probably the best thing
> about the internet. (See, another "best
> thing"....sigh.)

i agree...not to mention, i always love a good debate
taboot taboot!

like a madman,
e va n|s sa b (aka jaco...the second coming - there,
now i've gone and claimed it!  now can we get together
to jam and make music or just push buttons and turn nobs?)