Re: Brother sync w/ new EDP software?

At 03:34 PM 3/30/2003, Looping9string@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/28/2003 12:01:11 PM Mountain Standard Time,
>kflint@loopers-delight.com writes:
>
>>no. BrotherSync is bidirectional, meaning either unit can set the master
>>loop length for the other. You can easily switch back and forth between
>>which one is leading while you play, just as you can with real musicians.
>>BrotherSync also syncs at the sample level, so it is very tight. It also
>>makes it very easy to create loops that are different multiples of each
>>other between the two units, while keeping in sync.
>
>Does everything STILL work this way with the new looping software?

yes. It is better in fact, because you have the various new sync features
and the display improvements that make sync easier to use. But the basics
are the same either way.

>My little group "9 and ZEN" is now using three EDP's brother synced... I
>thought I had read something about it not functioning the same with the
>new software upgrade?
>
>"meaning any unit can set the master loop lengths for the others. "
>
>Can you please enlighten me on this?

Musician A starts off by recording a basic theme as a 1 bar loop at his
tempo. Musician B follows by recording a 2 bar loop in the same tempo, in
sync because of BrotherSync. B's loop will be 2 cycles long, with the
basic
cycle length equal to the cycle length set by A.  Musician C then joins in
by creating a 4 bar loop in sync with the others (his loop is 4 cycles
long).

If A and B stop their loops, the tempo is still defined for the group by
C,
so they can come back in later and still sync to the tempo. Or maybe they
start a new tune where C starts off with the basic theme.

This is the idea of "BrotherSync". They all provide the sync equally as
brothers, and all listen to it, instead of one being the Master and the
others the Slaves. It's a sort of sync utopia. Any one of them can take
the
lead for the others to follow, and they can change spontaneously. This is
how a real jam works, so BrotherSync was created to fit that dynamic.

Let's say in the middle of a tune B gets inspired to take the lead and set
a new tempo. While the others are playing, he as several ways to break out
of the sync and record independently of it. (for example, Unrounded
Multiply, or a second tap of Record during the sync waiting time.)  The
others hear what B is doing and decide to sync in with it. They reset
their
loops, and B's sync signal at his new tempo becomes the rhythm that they
follow. (They have to reset first, If they all have their loops going at
once in different tempos, they will have competing sync signals which will
be a confused mess.) After a reset A and C can see from the display when
their EDPs have found the new tempo from B, and then can record to the new
tempo.

Now they have changed tempo and even changed who led the groove, right in
the middle of the music. The music never had to stop, nobody had to unplug
and replug midi cables in the middle of the jam, nobody had to dive into
parameter sub menus to change their sync configuration. It can be very
transparent and fluid, and that is the advantage of BrotherSync.

kim