Re: Why I'm starting to loath news paper music critics

I once worked as a studio musician on a Swedish album by a "locally
major" artist. I joined a week of day and all-nighter sessions on
mainly electric guitar and I was strictly ordered by the producer to
"not getting to know the tunes too well" because my role was to
create "musical ornamentation" by improvising along the vocal lines.
All musicians recorded at once and not much were overdubbed
afterwards. My input came out quite well and everybody was pleased
with the playful and somewhat impressionistic guitar fills. When the
record was released one song became a hit and the album sold gold
right away. One of the major magazines reviewed it and said that
"hardly any guitar was used on the album - just a little acoustic
strumming here and there". Very strange ;-)   Maybe the guy took the
Strat tone for a digital synth?

Another time I did a gig with a band, playing our own collectively
written music, and we got bashed in the press for "being dressed in
black". Not a word about the music or the performance!!!!

Stuff that like that has to happen, you just have to put up with it.
Maybe take notes on "bad" writers and try to avoid them in the future.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)