Re: Fun with time signatures

On Jul 6, 2005, at 17:17, <loopdelightml@nosuch.biz>
<loopdelightml@nosuch.biz> wrote:

> Is there some kind of state diagram available for the EDP?
> That shows what the functions do depending on the current state of
> the EDP,
> something like (e.g. when Insert = HSP (Halfspeed)):
>
>          Functions:
>                 Rec       OD        Mult     Insert       Mute
> Undo Nxt DirMidi...
> States:
> Playing  Rec'ing   OD'ing    Mult'ing Playing@HSP  Muted  etc.
> Reset    Rec'ing   IgnoreSyn etc.     HSP (armed)  etc.
> Rec'ing  Playing   OD'ing    Mult'ing Playing@HSP  etc.
>
> Of course this depends on the configuration and there are long
> presses and
> DirectMidi commands, too, but still...

When you write "functions", do you mean the pedal buttons (same as
the front panel buttons)? Are you leaving out the direct midi command
option here (because they are listed in the Loop4 manual)? I mean,
with direct midi commands you can directly access many functions that
would need a quite complex diagram to be displayed as pedal/front
panel buttons.

Before I picked up a FCB1010 and started using the direct midi
commands I used to think about such a diagram. I started to draw one
but gave up soon because I realized that even if I should succeed in
drawing one I would never be able to get such an overall view of it
that it would be to any help in forming my creative looping
strategies. So I started using a different method; memorizing some
functions and how they depend on and interfere with each other. When
not grasping for the complete Echoplex scheme I found it possible to
start making some inspiring music with the little knowledge I had.
Then I tried to memorize a little more functions to expand my way of
reacting to the noise I got out of the EDP.

Of course a diagram would be very cool - in a scientific way,
though ;-)  Thinking about that excellent exel sheet for keys you
created.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)