Re: Novation X-Station, M-Audio Ozonic

Title: RE: Novation X-Station, M-Audio Ozonic
Thanks!

I'm thinking about using one of these as an audio interface/secondary MIDI controller for Mobius.  I like that it has the MIDI in you talked about because that will allow me to merge in commands from my FCB1010.  And I was thinking the Synth thing would be really cool.  I assume you send the synth audio via USB on an audio channel, right?

I'm glad to hear it's easy to program.  That means a lot.

Are the 9 faders pre-assigned to synth controls, or are they already MIDI continuous controllers?

--Josh

goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:

josh-
I have an x-station keyboard, the 49 key version. this is the one that's actually a synth aswell. before I bore everyone to death with a mini-review, what is it you're especially interested in? the audio-in is a bit unusual; there are two XLR/jack combo sockets, but one of these inputs disappears if you are using the internal synth. each has it's own stereo effects processor (compressor, delay, reverb, chorus, eq, distortion... all available at once, & then twice over) but I can't remember what happens with this when you link the two inputs to use them as a stereo pair. I'll remind myself later.

the USB/midi side of things is very good. you have very flexible routing, & a midi-in (unusual on any keyboard) which you can choose to merge with the USB onto either or both of the midi-outs. there are dozens of templates which allow the use of the "synth" controls as generic midi controllers, & it's really easy to reprogram this to one's own requirements.

the synth itself is a mono-timbral novation job which, if that doesn't mean anything, is good. not quite a memorymoog, but as close as you can get with a synth that can be carried under one arm.

I love mine. I bought it by mistake (intended to get the simpler controller keyboard). I use it as a remote editor for a "proper" novation (supernova) for which it has a template already, & for a cheetah ms6 (with kris maad's firmware) for which I had to write a template; took about thirty minutes but mostly that was figuring sensible min/max values for things.

I'm going to try to use it as a controller/interface with my macbook pro; I'll let you know how I get on. in the meantime, let me know if there's anything specific you want to know, & good luck with the baby!

d.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe