Re: Loop effects: Can software be as good as good hardware?

mark sottilaro wrote:

> All this talk about Eclipse/Fireworx vs. Max/Reaktor
> made me think, surely dedicated hardware must sound a
> lot better, no? Perhaps software is way more flexible
> but is it as good? If all you got from hardware was
> lower latency I'd imagine ebay would be flooded with
> effects processors to the point people couldn't give
> them away. I'm excited about what my humble laptop
> can do but will it rival even my modest Lexicon MPX1
> in terms of sound quality?

Unless I'm not correctly understanding your question, it seems to me
that you're asking about audio quality.  This seems like an odd
question, if it isn't a troll.  ;-)  Considering all of the applications
a computer can do: play CDs, play DVDs, run sequencers like Sonar and
ProTools, run Live, et al, audio quality shouldn't even be an issue
unless an app is poorly written.  Shouldn't you be asking about timing,
latency, ease of operation?

Cheers,

Bill