Re: Aristotle and Reality

A quote I remember from somewhere:
"The Greeks always tested every hypothesis twice -
first drunk, then sober."

Krispen Hartung <khartung@cableone.net> wrote:
> Also, keep in mind that reality is largely subjective. Aristotle
> approaches Reality from an objective point of view. I can think of two
> consequences right offhand that fall from this; both as a consequence
> owing to the fact that the human mind is a pattern-recognition engine.

Yes! That is a key point. Aristotle had to bind qualities to essense,
otherwise he couldn't have done what he did so well, which was to categorize
things and arrange them in a natural hierarchy.....which ended up
influencing the concent of "The Chain of Being", which by the way was
partially responsible for generating anti-evolutionary sentiments during the
hay day of Darwin, Lamarch, etc. A species was considered fixed and
immutable on this chain of being. Of course, they had no idea of genetics
until Mendel's pea experiments came along, which showed that species were
mutable over time based on the mutation and mixing of the units of heredity.
Figuratively speaking, Aristotle was rolling in his grave and the Greek
philosopher Hericlitus, known for his theory of the flux (that all things
change), was screaming horray!!!!

Hericlitus would have been a great looper. :)

K-