organized or improvised (was: Favorite Five Threads on L.D.)

Somehow related:
How many of you are really "musically educated"?
I mean can you read a staff?, can you play in all keys?, can you modulate
without thinking about it?....
I have no musical training, having always learn by ear and trial/error, I
feel it difficult to do live looping without an undo function or without
rehearsing before committing the loop.
I'm still mainly looping at home, making too much mistakes now to think
about some public performance.
I also changed my instruments (trying now to play the guitar which of
course
doesn't help :-)).
I like guitar because it easier to transpose and the overdubs doesn't
saturate too easily (2 layers of synth sounds already muddy)
OK I have fun at home doing a basic I-V-IV in barre chords with some
"solo"
overdubs but I guess an audience will find it quickly boring.

Any recommendation/exercises to improve my looping technics?
Something I tried recently is to download some tabs from the net, isolate
2
or 3 measures, play just the lower string, then add the other notes string
by string. This is a good way to construct something someone might
recognise
and allow me to construct chords I wouldn't be able to play yet with my
limited left hand mobility.

greetings from Belgium,

Ben