RE: process Vs product

We recorded a jam the day after the Cambridge Loopfest 2004
(http://www.collective.co.uk/loopfest/archive2004.html) with Mike Bearpark.
We had such fun we decided to published a CD (http://pedaltone.com,
http://www.burningshed.com/index.asp?page=details&main=shed&label=9&id=345)
There's a 4 minute trailer available (5.7 MB)
http://pedaltone.com/trailer.mp3

In a way you record the raw material as the source and then "compose" it
only afterwards by selecting, mixing, etc.

Also with Per Boysen we used this approach: http://www.looproom.com/bw/sf/.

There's a related lecture by Brian Eno "The Studio As Compositional Tool":
http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/interviews/downbeat79.htm
(http://tinyurl.com/nbwet)

I digress, but with a looping perspective (and otherwise) you'll enjoy the
above article:
  "almost any arbitrary collision of events listened to
   enough times comes to seem very meaningful"

   "And you'll hear, in a cleverly disguised fashion, exactly the
    same parts repeated. Which makes you think that Percy Jones of
    Brand X is an incredible bass player, because he does every
    complex, idiosyncratic thing three our four times in a row.
    That's a trick I like using."

And while Eno is talking about the "Studio As Compositional Tool", e.g.
this
whole paragraph applies to looping just as much:
  " ... one becomes empirical in a way that the classical composer
   never was. You're working directly with sound, and there's no
   transmission loss between you and the sound - you handle it.
   It puts the composer in the identical position of the painter -
   he's working directly with a material, working directly onto a
   substance, and he always retains the options to chop and change,
   to paint a bit out, add a piece, etc."

Bernhard
http://nosuch.biz