RE: inputing bass

As far as I know the only "Loop station" (or as I call
it, a "looper") that does pitch shifting (with no
tempo change) is The Electrix Repeater.  Sounds great.
 Alternately you can do fun stuff with the speed of
your loop that doesn't change the pitch.  What will my
loop sound like at 20 bpm without effecting the pitch?
 Give the knob a twirl and find out.

For software, Live does a nice job of changing pitch
up or down... so does Mobius I think, though I've
never used it for this.  Also for funky synthy stuff
check out Kantos.  You can find it for $50 on ebay and
works pretty well with guitar or voice.

EDP, Looperlative and others all have half speed
functions so if you can play your bass line at double
speed and then later slow it down, it works very
nicely, but sounds slowed down.  Cool but different.

Mark