RE: PC as sampler plus Moebius?

> So the notebook (Windoze) would have to
>
> a) take in midi signals from the guitar midi controller, and some
sampling
> software on the notebook would then play back the samples, and ideally
>
> b) take the output from the sampling software, plus possibly incoming
audio
> from the guitar, and loop both of it in Moebius which would have to be
> controlled by a midi footpedal.

As others have mentioned, there are more powerful sample-playback
options out there, but Mobius does have a little used feature that
allows you to load up 10 samples that play from start to end whenever
they are triggered.  The samples don't loop, but they are routed into
the input mix so you can record them along with any other live signal
into a loop.  The samples can also be "stacked" which means if you
trigger one before the last one finishes they will overlay, which can
create interesting polyrhythms of done carefully.

The main limitation is that there is no level control.  You have to
prepare them outside Mobius to play at the level you want, and if
you're going to play more than one at a time you have to very careful
not to overload the mix.

This is used mostly for my testing, so I have a way to record
things into a loop without having to move away from the keyboard and
play an instrument.  But I've often wondered if this could be improved
and made into a more useful performance tool.

Jeff