New Echoplex: Distortion when loop plays back -- faulty machine or faulty human?

Esteemed loopers, I'm hoping you can help. I've been
reading the listserv for about three months and
upgraded from my Digitech Jamman to an Echoplex when
one of you mentioned the Musician's Friend sale.

Anyway, I have it and looking forward to using it, BUT
I'm getting major distortion when the loop begins to
play back. Everything sounds fine as I play through
the unit and when I play over the top of the loop
signal. But the loop itself is distorted (LOTS of
noise). I don't recall this the first time I used it
(at a different place). But it doesn't seem to be a
geographic problem, since all my other equipment
appears to work fine, and it is only the loop itself
that is distorted. By the way, I played around with
the input knob and output knob to make sure I wasn't
overdriving or underdriving the signal, and that does
not seem to the problem. Do I send it back for a new
one (hope they can get me a replacement!).

Thanks for any suggestions

Total Access, No Cost.