Re: Guitar Pickup

I can second the praise of the I-Beam.  I've got one in my flamenco
guitar and the sound is fine.  Granted I don't exercise it much as I
mostly play unplugged, but my practice recordings sound good.  Mixing
in a bit of signal from a mic (even a fairly low end one) helps to
open the sound up to breathe when recording.  It does pick up plenty
of top noise (taps & thumps, etc), though I doubt you'd get good
response from thumps on the neck or head of the guitar.

Regarding the issue of acoustic processors, I highly recommend using
something to shape your sound before hitting whatever amplifiers
you're using.  The real benefit of these processors is two-fold:  1) a
parametric mid EQ to fine tune the tone delivered by the pickup, and
2) some sort of notch filter to cut feedback.  These two are MUST
haves when amplifying acoustics.  Of course, more flexible EQ helps,
but that parametric mid must be there.

Personally, I use a Fishman Pro EQ Platinum.  It's fine and does the
job well.  Though I don't know that it's any better than some of its
competitors.  They all sport roughly the same features and as long as
they remain transparent (aside from your EQ tweaks) they're doing
their job in my opinion.

My 2 cents.  Hope they're helpful.
Todd