RE: Jean Michel Jarre

That's quite a collection...

I left music school in Boston in 1972 with a band that had just bought one
of the first Arp 2600s.  Two guys in the band were joint owners, and while
one did most of the initial programming, the other did most of the
performing and eventually bought out the other.  The first night they
brought it to a gig, they got it cranked up but couldn't get it to turn
off,
so they had to pull the plug.  They came up with some great orchestral
patches along with various pink and white noises that were great for things
like Moody Blues covers.  I still think their home-made string section
sound
was the best I ever heard from a synth.

We'd also had the Arp 2500 at school--I enjoyed the electronic music class
that gave us basic understanding of oscillators, filters, sequencers etc.
The class instructor would assign us to come up with a piece for a project,
with various sounds and noises, then would insist on it having a title
before he'd give it a grade.  I'd always say something like "well, it's
nothing" and he'd write down Nothing Coming, or I'd say "it's just some
crap" and he'd write A Chap's Crap or something like that.

I bet the Mellotron is left open due to frequency of maintenance...

dave

I enjoyed watching this vid of Jean Michel Jarre walk through his
roomful (no lie) of vintage key equipment. Note the Loopstation sitting
on the two-manual keyboard (Eminence?). Nice to see the inside of the
Mellotron too, and his explanation of the 7-second loop. I love those
sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_E8aGx777Q

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com