Re: Crazy idea to help us grow our community

On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:35 AM, Rick Walker wrote:

I just gave away a computer I inherited from my father to
a local Goth/Industrial musician on the proviso that he
use it for making music and it suddenly occured to me:

A lot of us have old computers laying around that would be fine for
doing some live or even canned looping.

Personally,  I have an old 1.3 ghz P4 sitting in my house that is
all taken apart (with the best intentions of rebuilding it and upgrading
until I ended up buying a newer one).

I was thinking it would be a very cool thing is anyone has this stuff lying
around and have Matthias Grob or Andrew Ostler or Jeff Larson or whoever
has invented some looping softare to donate a looping software package
to said old used computers and give them away to young aspiring
live loopers who might not have the money to purchase such a thing.

In the year 1998,  two good friends of mine gifted me a Mac computer and
basically baby sat me into understanding how to use it to make music
just because they had the faith in me that I would do something really creative
with it.      Now, ten years later I make probably 1/3 to 1/2 of my income because
I've really learned how to do it on both platforms.

I never could have afforded to do it at the time and now I'm teaching young musicians
how to make music with a computer.    A small miracle.

Does anyone have such a computer laying around?
I imagine it would need to be at least a P4 or equivalent processor of a 1ghz or more
or the equivalent Mac computer.

It's just a thought, but I thought it might be a cool thing to do ritually at the Y2K festival each year.

Towards that end,   read my next email to the list.

Cheers,  yours in creativity and fostering community,    Rick Walker