Re: Help with Glitch/Stutter technique

Rick Walker wrote:
> Per wrote about glitch techniques:

> Yeah,  Per is correct here..................in the Looperlative I've been
> setting what is called Quantize Replace (which is the same thing as
> quantized INS=SUS
> in the EDP--

on the EDP you have to do
InsertMode = rPL  or SUb
Quantise = 8th
8th/Cycle = depends, start by setting it to 8, and use with 1s loop to get
the idea

>--also called the same in Mobius?)   by
> setting this quantized replace function to 64th slices.
>
> In the Looperlative each slice is called a 'Q Step'.
>
> In the Looperlative you can either 'cut' in little glitchy 64th notes
> that replace 1/64 of your
> loop that already exists (frequently with purely
> random pushes of a midi pedal)  or you can 'cut' them in on top of what
> you already have.
> I believe the Looperlative will allow up to a 128  'Q Step' slices per
> loop.
> A lot of times,  I just like to set the number very high but NOT on a
> multiple of
> 3 or 4  just so it has a more random rhythmic quality to the 'slicing'..

Here's Rick demonstrating the technique with the loop divided into 8

http://www.andybutler.com/mp3/Norfest08/RW-Intro.mp3

The quantised replace is good for creating rhythms, it's
not easy to get a predictable result, in Rick's case here
he ends up with a riff very close to something that could
be heard on a popular hip hop track which was around at the time
of the performance. (no, I don't know who it's by, it was in the
UK charts in 2008, and I doubt Rick's ever heard it).

Using replace without quantise is also a nice technique, and
easier to manipulate a loop rhythmically.
It's effective to "cut in" a rhythm to a loop allowing you to change the
feel without producing a cluttered sound.
(check out Andre LaFosse).

I don't know how Mobius copes with the quantised version of this effect
( the details of getting it to work are quite specific),
but the non-quantised version is afaik fully featured, and
incorporates the secondary feedback control.

These replace functions work particularly well with the EDPs
loop windowing function.

andy butler