RE: The Historic and Aesthetic Origins of Live Looping

For me looping begins with repurposed domestic tape recorders when people were throwing them out because of cassette machines. mid to late 1970s. My family had one, and people in the neighbourhood had them. Shitty overused and undermaintained machines and horrible microphones for sending voice letters to mum as a spool of tape. Recording over horribly overused tapes using worn capstans with variable speed. Hum and whitenoise and fadeout built-in and accepted as part of the mix because it was unavoidable. 1975-8. Getting a microphone cable snuck up the staircase to the living room where the largely untouched Gebr. Neindorf piano stood, and putting bolts between the strings, and thumping on it when everyone was out at work or the shops, then removing everything and running backj down the spiral staircase to listen to the results. Hearing the almost tidal decay in the sounds looping between the different tapes laid out in a circle. I had an old suitcase stuffed with pillows and the springs-in-a-frame from the base of a radio chair, and a radio with an aux in and a mike locked in there as part of the setup, and it would invariably fall over when the door closed upstairs. I did that all summer holidays when I could.

I remember there was one tape with James Last on it that had "theme from a summer holiday" on it, and where the splice was it wouldn't erase. So until that tape wore out there was a perioding injection and mutation of "laaaa, da dee da daaaaa " into it, gradually crinkle mutilated. I recorded that one with a cassette tape, long since lost. Paddy Leigh Fermour in "As I stepped out one morning" talks about the feeling of loss of a set of diaries returning periodically like an ache in the weather. Having unrealisable memories of those recordings aches in that way. But I wouldn't go back for a moment - now I turn up the crinkle setting on a timeline or the mod setting on my deja vu. No running involved!

Anyway - it couldn't be further from the Paradis Loop except in systems terms!