RE: Latin, and roots

>I beleive that before tape looping, there were some radio engineers who
>would scratch records to make them skip on purpose, thus creating loops,
>and musique concrete was born.  Also, they used the wind-off groove at
>the end of a record side to repeat things indefinitely.  I'm no expert
>regarding this kind of stuff, but I bet that if you search for info on
>Musique Concrete, you'll find some names of the first people to compose
>with these kinds of materials.

>-Jon

A D.J. in Ann Arbor named "Ed Special" at WCBN was working with loops
fifteen to twenty years ago in the radio studio.  I recall seeing
LLLONNNNGGGG loops of audio tape pass through the tape machine, meander
over hooks, pencils, paper clips, and other such objects placed about the
studio and pass again thruogh the tape machine.  These loops were very
long by the standards of those days (minutes).  The loops were
simultaniously blended with other stuff that he would be playing on the
record players and tape decks (usually old, extremely tacky and sometimes
scary educational stuff) as well as spatterings of music.  Kind of an
audio collage.  Anyway, I know that he recorded every show and these might
be available.  Try contacting WCBN Radio in Ann Arbor, Michigan (313)
763-3501

     Steve Murrell
     smurrell@ford.com