Re: Indian classical music

Loopers,

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Dave Stagner wrote:

> The other source was a book by English free improvisor Derek Bailey,
> called (appropriately enough) "Musical Improvisation".  Bailey devoted
> two chapters of this rather thin volume to Indian classical music,
> praising it extensively as an improvisational structure.  He spent
> much time dealing with the basic musical theory, which is more
> philosophical than "musical" in nature.  Because there really isn't a
> written form for the music, there is debate over even the number of
> notes in an octave.
>
> But I digress, again.  :}  Anyway, Bailey's book is a terrific read if
> you can get it, but I'm sure it is long out of print.

Small correction:  The book by Derek Bailey is actually called
_Improvisation: its nature and practice in music_, published in 1980, but
then a second edition appeared in 1992 from the London publisher, British
Library National Sound Archive.

But, alas, even the second edition is out of print already.  However,
i am sure a copy of at least one of these editions is available in
your local library.

There is another *excellent* book for those interested in the fundamentals
of Indian Classical music--the terminology and such.  It was written by a
woman whose name eludes me for the moment, but i have it at home somewhere,
i believe.  So i'll post the info tomorrow.

Wonderful thread, indeed!

Yours,

Pete the Tea Boy