Re: Beginner questions

Rob Martino wrote:

>So to start off, I wanted to get some basic ideas about the type
>of equiment/cable configuration I would want to start with.
>Playing Champman Stick, I have at least three outputs (bass, melody,
>triggered synth), yet I understand the JamMan can only process
>one of it's stereo inputs.  So would the easiest thing to do be
>simply having a small mixer to mix down from three or more to
>one?  Does the Echoplex allow multiple inputs?

I reccommend using a mixer.  If you run looping device off the effect SEND,
then you can send only the signals you want to loop.  Also, if you run the
output of the looping device back into a mixer input channel, you can send
that signal to other effects, through additional SENDS.

The JamMan has stereo ins and outs (ie. it will preserve the stereo signal)
but only loops in mono.  THe echoplex has only mono in and out

>Since I've hardly begun to get into this looping business,
>the first thing I was envisioning myself doing was building up a 4
>or more layer loop (bass, rhythm, percussive sounds, synth), save that
>off, solo over it for a while, start and build up another 4 layer loop,
>save that, and maybe do this a few more times, then be able to
>switch between the already constructed, layered loops as sections
>of the song.  I assume either the JamMan or Echoplex could do this?

Yes, you can do this with both.

>Geez, the funny thing is, this is the way I've been writing music
>for years on a MIDI sequencer (build up layers into sections, then
>use these section blocks to structure the song), but I didn't think
>of using a looping device to do all this live until now!
>
>Is there anything else I need to consider in terms of configuring
>inputs/outputs, or looping device features?

The Echoplex is really a different beast than the JamMan.  The JamMan does
not have much in the way of editing features.  The Echoplex has many,
including UNDO, MULTIPLY, INVERT (ie. play the loop in reverse).  For me,
the UNDO, and MULTIPLY are extremely important features.  PLus, the
echoplex can be controlled via MIDI, whereas the JamMan is limited in its
MIDI implementation:  you can only sync it to a MIDI beat clock.  Now that
memory prices have come down, I feel that you get more for you dollar with
the Echoplex:

Jam Man w/ 32 sec will cost you ~$450
Echoplex w/ 108 sec will cost you ~$600

- Chris