Re: Another griper knees at the Oberheim Shrine

Andre on his knees :-) :
>For instance, the noise gate in the Plex is designed to work with the Undo
>feature, to make sure that miroscopic bits of background noise don't fill
>up the "undo que" in the unit's memory.  Undo isn't even an option on the
>Lexicon.

Thats it!
Plus there is a fundamental difference internally:
The JamMan plays from the beginning of the memory to the end of the loop
and then jumps back to the beginning of the memory. This is the structure
of a sampler and makes those functions easy.
The Plex circles around the whole memory constantly like a tape loop or a
digital delay. This fascilitates features like Multiply and Undo a lot but
difficults the sampling side. We had to introduce loads of markers that run
together with the sound to indicate where we have to jump to in case of
+Mute-Undo+ for example. Imagine +Reverse+ or +Next-Multiply+ %-/ !

>Ultimately you should spend as much time as possible with a Plex and see
>if it agrees with you.  Lexicon's a great company (in some ways I'm
>enjoying the looping features on the Vortex even more than on the
>Oberheim!), and they seem to have their act together quite a bit more as
>far as having a clue as to what to do with a product (I'd guess this is
>the main reason that JamMan users seem to outnumber Echoplex users by a
>pretty considerable ratio.  Can't buy the thing if you can't find it...)
>But in terms of depth and flexibility, you can't beat the Oberheim.

Lets dream of a looper on the PCM80 quality level with Lexicons care with
distribution and service!

Thanks for all the flowers!
Lets open some space for the JamMan users and fundamental questions.

Matthias