Re: MIDI Loops

Jim about looping problems in his sequencer:
>It's not the sort of thing the designers intended, so each sequencer
>will act differently.  The looping features in MOTU are best suited
>for drum or pattern programming.  What I wanted was multiple loops
>with different lengths, and I'm not sure where it was happening, but
>I kept loosing notes here and there.

Since you seem to understand programming:
How far away from a handy looping set are the comercial sequencers?
Which comes closest?
Should we try to convince one to include our trip?
Its a composition tool, after all...

Jim again, full of valuable experience:
>One can do feedback using Max, but the "code" to do that
>has to manually remove notes when their volume (midi velocity) reaches
>zero, otherwise the delay line can end up with a large number of
>notes that are not played, ultimately slowing down the system.

Understandable. So you created that code? For the rest of us?

>I did a
>good bit of Max programming last winter and found that the flexibility
>is remarkable, but more advanced patches can be time consuming to
>build. On the other hand, it is relatively easy to set up muliple
>lines (w/ feedback) and have envelope generators control their levels
>independently, transpose them on the fly, etc.

>Doing midi-based looping is very different than audio looping, midi is
>not as expressive as having a real instrument to play, but is very
>flexible and interesting in other ways. Max comes with a couple of
>large patches that are interactive composition engines.

Would it be possible to create a MaxLooper this winter ? (summer here!)
I have no idea how many musicians use Max and whether there would be a
comercial way...

ERIC? (must be lurking...)  Did you ever program a Max patch? You certainly
cared to know how that works...

Yes my friends, if we do not go for it with curage, we will not retire in
happy loopland. There are different ways and they probably meet in the
end...

Matthias