Looper's Delight Digest!!!!!!

After listening to endless whining, after begging and harassing sysadmins,
and after fighting off every conceivable technical hangup, I've finally got
the digest version of Looper's Delight running smoothly!!!

So for those of you using vt-100's or IBM PC jr's or whatever it is you
read email with, you can subscribe to the digest version and get all the
fabulous LD postings in a big lump every other day by sending mail to:

Loopers-Delight-d-request@annihilist.com

with the word "subscribe" in the subject and body. Please don't put
anything else in the message body, the brain-dead scripts that process
subscription requests get confused by sig files and whatnot.

You'll probably want to unsubscibe from the regular list, do that by
sending "unsubscribe" to:

Loopers-Delight-request@annihilist.com

Please don't post messages to the digest version, or that's the only place
they'll be seen. Instead, post to the normal Looper's Delight list like you
do now. The reply to: is set to go to the regular list, so it shouldn't be
too complicated. Also, don't include the entire digest when replying! If
you do, the next digest will look real familiar!

Now, before you all jump ship, and to brew a bit of controversy, here are
my digest opinions:

1. I don't like digests because they go way way way to slow for me.
Conversation feels stifled because replies to posts come days or weeks
later, and nobody remembers the context anymore. Bounce type lists are much
more lively.

2. Replying to digest lists is a pain because it takes more editing. You
can't just hit "r" and bang out a reply to the thing you are looking at.
It's really a pain if you want to reply to several differnt things.

3. You can't read all the stuff with the same subject at once, you have to
scroll through everything.

4. If you think you don't have time for all the mail on Looper's Delight,
just wait till you have three or four 32k digests piled up. When are going
to find time to plough through all of that? Never! And when you do you are
way behind so you never join in the conversations that interest you. With a
bounce list it's easy to glance at all the subjects and quickly read
something that sounds interesting. And if you have a mail program that does
filtering, you can just send it all off to it's own mailbox and check it
when you take a break.

5. People don't get to know each other on digest lists, whereas bounce
lists tend to inspire pretty good friendships. Looper's Delight has only
been alive for a couple of months and we've already got cd projects and
get-togethers happening!

So there ya go. Food for thought. If you still feel the digest is the thing
for you, by all means join it! You're the ones I made it for!

You're not-terribly-humble list maintainer,

kim