Re: Okay, let's get philosophical: Performance Theory time

On Oct 21,  4:07pm, Paolo Valladolid wrote:

> This looks very interesting; it reminds me of a videotape Prof. George
> Lewis showed us of an Indonesian performer who triggered samples of his
>own
> voice himself relating his own life story as he danced.  Do you plan to
> have your performances videotaped?

hi, loopers... I just got back and have a ton of L-D messages, so bear/bare
wid me, please. I have a feeling I'll be commenting on a portion of the
100+
messages.

George Lewis? hmmh... george, ...  you know what? If he's the
trombonist/looper then he's coming here for a residency or something, and
he's been here before... I know very little about him at this point. I have
heard of the Indonesian performer that you mention. what do ya'll know
bout george?

the show was video taped.

> Folks I have seen who have dared to perform interactive computer music
> live seemed to prefer Powerbooks instead of a full blown desktop system
> because laptops fold up nicely and are easily transported. There was a
> performer from Mills College who had a nice velvet-glove-to-computer kind
> of interactive setup.  I should have asked her and George what measures
> they take to minimize possible glitches in setup and performance.

there are several performanceelectronique' folk out there using laptops.
wish
I had one also... letitia sonami(sp) is a tough cookie(and sexy as hell).
she
does many glove/sensor type performances.

> No offense to David Jaffe, but for one of his performances, he just
>popped
> in a tape and we had to sit there and listen to it.  To me this was not

dartmouth and nyu did concerts like this. their composers actually sat in
the
audience a fell asleep on their own pieces. any idea what that commentary
might be indicating?

> as interesting as watching him on MIDI violin and his partner on Radio
>Drum
> wreaking computer-enhanced electronic havoc.  I guess I'm of the old
>school
> mentality where I expect from a live performance certain elements that
can't
> be gotten from listening to the same piece from some recording.

one of most common questions/comments from our audiences on the tour was
about the justifications of performing electronic music live. this
initially
caught me by surprise, then I realized that I agreed. there were a copla
pieces in the tour using max/synths that were unseen. the audience had no
visual cues to what was going on... ".....so boring, so boring..."
luckily that wasn't my pieces.

collier