David Torn book proposal

Anil Prasad posted this on various newsgroups:

Hi folks,

I've been in touch with David Torn on and off about writing a book about
and with him. We've officially decided to start a fact-finding mission
see who may be interested in such a venture.

Here's the deal:

This book is gonna be an all-encompassing look at the world of Torn.

It'll detail:

1. His "life story" (or "How Looperboy become the Man of Surreal")
2. His philosophies
3. His views and experiences regarding the music industry

4. Techniques, equipment and gearhead talk
5. How he got his Masters degree in Loopology (and how you can too)

Unfortunately, we have to work within the realm of the publishing
industry. Neither of us is willing to put up with the hassle
of self-publishing. So, the reality is this may have to be two books
-- one containing 1-3 and the other with 4-5. Publishers tend to be
ridiculously picky about "focus" and may think the "demographic
appeal" of the book would be too fragmented if everything was
included in one volume.

Personally, I'd like to see EVERYTHING in one book and release it as
"The Complete David Torn" (that probably wouldn't be the title, but
it's the concept I'd like to go for).

As you folks know, Torn is a devastatingly interesting person. And
unlike many musicians, he's educated, articulate and suitably bizarre
enough to make for an incredibly interesting and enlightening book
subject.

You'll also be pleased to know that Torn wants to include a compact
disc with the book. If we go for the "all-in-one" approach, it'll
feature either a compilation of his best stuff, or entirely unreleased
stuff, or some combo thereof. If we go for the two volume approach,
one book will contain a CD of music and the other will include a new
disc of loopery a la _Pandora's Toolbox_ or _Tonal Textures_.

We're deadly serious about going ahead with this project if we can
find a sympathetic and interested publisher. Obviously this thing
ain't gonna burn up the bestseller charts. I would assume at minimum
we could sell between 2,000 - 5,000 copies. And if it's marketed
properly, perhaps a hell of a lot more.

I can assure you that if we put this thing together, it'll be a
quality package of the _highest_ order. No-one's interested in doing a
half-assed job.

So, the reason for this message? We'd like to find out what YOU think
about all of this. Any constructive comments are appreciated. As well,
if you know someone who may be potentially interested in releasing a
project like this, please get in touch. This is going to be a truly
organic and grassroots effort.

Thanks for reading,

Anil Prasad
aprasad@pobox.com