fun with retriggering and anti-guitar diatribes

Hi everyone-

Last night I was amusing myself with a loop technique that I though I'd
share with the group. But first, a mini diatribe about guitars and their
owners!

I've played guitar since I was 7. It wasn't even my idea, my parents just
signed me up for the lessons. It's ok, I enjoy playing, so I forgive them
for that. But I guess being around the damn thing for so long has driven me
to boredom. Talking about guitars has gotten dull. Listening to guitar
music has gotten very dull. And my playing of the guitar is frequently
hitting periods of indifference. I guess that's what leads me in more
exotic directions both in listening and creating. But everywhere I go:
guitar, guitar, guitar. Yawn, yawn, yawn. Why is it that when a few guitar
players are around, that's all they talk about? I'm pretty guilty myself,
but it's always kind of self-conscious. I'm thinking, if I'm bored, that
poor theremin player in the corner must be dying! So anyway, the point is,
I'm going to spend more of my limited time here talking about looping, and
less about guitars.

[Don't take this as "list-owner exerting power" or anything. All you other
guitar players feel free to talk about it all you like here. If it's
important to your music, it's relevent. Censorship ain't my thing.]

Now, Looping!

I was playing with retriggering loops. I like this effect, probably because
I heard hip-hoppers doing it at a young age or something. I like making the
little stuttering sounds. This time, however, I did something a little
different.

I had recorded a rhythmic sort of loop, 4 bars of 4/4 I think. There were
some overdubs, so it was a reasonably full sounding loop, but not very
dense. So then I started retriggering it. (mute-insert on the plex. Each
insert then retriggers again) For some reason I let it play longer than
usual before retriggering, and realized I had just thrown a 3/4 bar into my
groove. Cool! I proceeded to go nuts with time signatures, by retriggering
my loop at different points in the rhythm, and continuing to do it to get a
new groove. Performing with the retrigger actually!

I found that I could easily convert my 4/4 groove to 3/4, 5/4, 7/4, 7/8,
whatever. Each one had an interesting new character of it's own. Some ideas
I had were:

(each of these are one pass, and should be repeated to get a groove)

Retr - beat - Retr - beat - beat        5/4
Retr - beat - beat - beat - beat        5/4
Retr - beat - Retr - beat - Retr - beat - beat    7/4
Retr - beat - beat - Retr - beat - beat - beat    different 7/4

well, you get the idea. Different initial loop content resulted in
different sorts of new rhthyms. Each one developed all sorts of new
characters as the time signature was dynamically changed.

anyway, gotta go. have fun!

kim