What's in the Torn video?

>has anyone here on the list seen the david torn instructional videos? i'm
>still pretty new at looping but have a fairly firm grasp on signal
>processing; would these be of worth ($69+) to me? what do they cover, and
>are
>they more theory based or just the "look what cool sound i get out of this
>cool box" type thing?

I've got both of the Torn videos.
How useful they are depends on how much experience you already have with
signal processors, effects and looping.  The looping sort of stuff
doesn't really kick in until the second tape.  The first tape has a nice
walk through of David's rig--the Klein (including demonstrations of how
each pickup setting sounds, the range on the tone control, the Transtrem,
etc.),  the many footpedals he has before the front end of his amp
(including TWO auto-wah's), a demo of the Rivera combo.  He stresses how
many useful sounds you can get without having a rack full of gear, from
cheaper footpedals.

The second video introduces some of his looping hardware.  At that point
he was using the modified PCM-42, a Digitech Smartshift, and a PCM-70 or
80 for reverbs.  There's also a demo of using a rackmounted mixer to
control the signal flow for the looping rack.  He sets up a few loops,
explains the control he has over each of the processor, and walks you
through three (I think, it's been a while since I watched the videos)
loops, explaining the whole time exactly what and how he's doing it.
Then he solos for a while over the loops.

After that there's a quick demo of the Ithaca Guitar Works acoustic, and
he does some quick looping in a tuning that he makes up on the spot.
Then there's a couple more examples of extended technique (preparing the
guitar, putting in a second bridge to divide the strings into two
playable lengths, some stuff with an E-bow).

In my opinion, the video is of the greatest use to somebody wondering
exactly what and how all this looping stuff is about/done.  By the time I
got a hold of the videos, I already had an extensive looping rig and a
fair amount of experience in hooking up tons of pedals to make weird
sounds, so there wasn't the "Revealing of the Masonic Secrets of Looping"
that I was subconsciously hoping for.  However, it's still very, very
informative to see someone else explain exactly what's going on while
they loop before you.

The videos also include a diagram of the rig Torn is using at the time,
which did prompt me to add a mixer to my rack.

Travis Hartnett