Re: questions for one and all

At 02:41 PM 6/6/97 +0200, you wrote:
>On 6/4/97 you wrote:
>>
>>and now for the big kahuna- what is it that all of us are trying to
>achieve
>>by looping? i'm really interested in the sounds coming out of this group.
>>Atmospheres? Textures? "Sound Carpets"? Precision Pointillism? Industrial
>>Indigestion? or more of the compositional types of multiple loops
>created on
>>the fly and then swapped between? in other words a way to build
>traditional
>>sections of composition to be arranged. i realize this predates the
>looper's
>>cd, but i think it would be cool for us to get an idea of what's going on
>>with all this equipment and talent and ...

        I'm new to this list so this seems an appropriate opportunity for
an
introduction.  I play guitar through a VG-8 into a Roland RPS-10 into a
JamMan into an AC30.  My partner, Cheryl Wanner, runs her voice through a
JamMan (sometimes) and plays bass and wire strung harp.  We do sort of tone
poems and sound paintings, any other categoies and labels we leave to
whoever wants to saddle themselves with them.  Some samples of our stuff
are
on our website, <http://www.chaneel1.com/users/seahorse>.
        Our use of loops came from filling in the spaces that not having
other players opened up.  We don't use drums or drum machines, so loops
help
create a nice percolating rhythm when needed.  I find, that like the person
who just expanded his memory on his JamMan, I also use the loop function to
lay down a backing track and play 'live' parts over it for a live
multitracking approach, on some material.
        As time passes, we are using more of the JamMan's capabilities in
our material.  Cheryl now samples vocal lines on the fly and inserts them
backwards and forwards in harmony (sung live) as the mood moves her.
Initially, she was just creating and layering a few loops.  While a lot of
this stuff is fairly elementary useage of looping technology, it fills the
bill for our needs and is providing new avenues of exploration for us.
Although I can't see us becoming an all loop experience, we are certainly
enjoying exploring the different possibilities.
        I found the main revelation of the Torn videos to be the use of a
mixer in his setup.  I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the video and while I
knew and utilised a lot of the ideas he mentioned already about using the
various sounds your equipment generates, I found it a very inspiring two
hours that made me want to create some new noises and loops (always a good
thing).
        Given the future (or lack thereof) of the JamMan, we have been
considering buying a spare and upgrading it for those emergency situations
where your main toy suddenly stops working.  Of course, having said that,
and seeing the Oberheim Echoplexes are actually still in production (and
shipping, it seems), the thought of buying one and switching over to that
has crossed my mind, too.   Mainly for the 'undo' function.  The ability to
create mini-loops on the VG-8  with its delay and layer them into the
JamMan's main loops is key for a few of the pieces we do, but I'd love to
be
able to remove them as well as the song progresses.  As it stands now, I
can
create them 'live' on the VG-8 and not add them to the Jam Man loops, so I
drop them out of the mix by switching patches.  The problem is, sometimes
I'd like to switch patches and leave the loop there and remove it later.
        By the way, what's the loopers CD referenced above?
Frank Gerace
Dreamchild