Re: Virus Alert

           <mya-school@umich.edu>

> This is the first one of these that I've seen in a while. It appears to
> be legitiment - coming from and through reliable sorces. If it is
> legitiment then it's VERY IMPORTANT!

I've not seen one in a while, either.  That doesn't mean that this
one is any more valid than all the others have been.  In general,
BEFORE fowarding one of these on, you should find an anti-virus
source that you trust, to get confirmation.  As discovered by the
shepherd boy, crying "wolf" is a dangerous pastime. ;)

A good place to check is the University of Michigan's "Virus Busters"
web page at

        http://www.itd.umich.edu/Virus-Busters/

They added the "Returned or Unable To Deliver 'Virus' Email Warning"
to their page on or about August 28, 1997.  "Join the crew" was
reported on or aobut July 10, 1997.

In case I've not been clear:  These are hoaxes, not real viruses.

> >Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 21:43:11 -0500 (EST)
> >From: "Ray E. Mattatall" <mattatal@umich.edu>
> >Subject: Fwd: [Fwd: Fw: Virus warning]
> >________________________________________________
>
> > Subject: NEW VIRUS!!
> >
> > WARNING!!!!!! If you receive an e-mail titled "JOIN THE CREW" DO NOT
> > open it!  It will erase EVERYTHING on your hard drive!  Send this
> > letter out to as many people you can ... this is a new virus and not
> > many people know about it!

{Remainder of original message deleted.  JLG.}

Gelinas.

                    Joseph L. Gelinas
                    Gelinas@umich.edu