Hello and RE: DOD FX-98

Hi everyone, my name is Ken Fletcher, and I've been lurking for over a
week here and enjoying all the conversations.  I'm more of a tape artist
and audio collagist than a live-gig-type musician.  I took some guitar
lessons during the summer, and got to play with my teacher's Echoplex.
What an experience!

Right now my looping gear consists only of a Yamaha SU-10 sampler and an
ART DXR Elite with a mere 2-second delay (with hold button).  But that's
better than what I was doing two years ago:  using a dual cassette deck
and constructing loops tediously with the dub, pause, and rewind buttons!
That was also before I bought my 4-track, when I was using multiple
cassette players joined with Y-connectors, feeding into a target recording
deck. (Actually I was able to make some pretty cool pieces with that
rather brute-force, primitive set-up.)

Anyway, I'm really glad to have stumbled onto the Loopers web page and
this mailing list!

Two more items:

1) Does anyone here have experience doing tape loops on a single
reel-to-reel recorder?  I would be interested in any anecdotes or tips.
Also, I'm curious about a two-deck setup I've heard of--something Brian
Eno experimented with?

2) I was in a local music store (I live in Eugene) today and asked one of
the clerks about the DOD FX-98.  He let me play with a DFX-94 while he
called his rep, and he found out that a) the rep was surprised anybody had
heard of the 98 because it was still supposed to be a secret (right!), and
b) the unit has not started production yet--it won't be on the market
until January.  When the music store guy pressed, the rep confirmed that
it has an 8-second sampler/delay and that its SRP will be $119.95.  He
didn't know about a reverse-sample feature.  I pass this on for whatever
it's worth....

Loopingly,
Ken Fletcher