Re: Re: Data compression, twitch factors, knee jerks and God

Adam:

The LoOpDoctOrs haven't heard the mini-disc recording, but we are most
certain
that every pair of ears on the planet will hear it's recorded results a
little
differently.

We do believe that technology should serve human creativity, and not visa
versa.

If the mini-disc, hard drive, DAT or CD-R is a viable tool for a musicians
artistic end, then good for him or her, but what is one person's so called
"knee jerk" reaction to a recording format, maybe an incontrovertable
aesthetic point for another.

Another way of looking at this -- some artists sculpt in pig iron, others
in
bronze.  Kodachome has different "reality" points to make then fresco and
camel hair.  Similarly scratching turntables has different noise
characteristics then the samples out of our synths.   One ain't better then
the other or worse because an engineer tells us so, and we have repeatedly
seen so called "flaws" in instruments/amplifiers/recording devices, etc.
later
hailed as "the real deal."

As a general artistic credo, the LoOpDoctOrs like to think that the
accidents
are more interesting then the plans, the boundaries ARE the horizons, and
tape
hiss and digital clipping might be two very interesting aural toys to play
with.
Here's a question.  A few years down the road could a musical aesthetic
(read
movement) rise up around those darned hissy four track cassette tape decks
some are about to trash for the latest and the greatest?
We're standing by.

In short, your recording medium IS a musical instrument, and it brings
with it
inherent creative vistas and limitations.  Exploring that tension is the
fun
part.

Best,
the LoOpDoctOrs