Re: sample clock playback tricks

Kim said;

>I don't know how Boomerang does it, but half speed is usually quite easy
>with the current crop of A/D convertors. You usually have a few fixed
>sample
>rates available that can be selected by the processor, these tend to match
>sample rates used in various common devices: CD's, DAT, sound cards, etc.
>So
>you just switch it on the fly. Variable sample rates, on the other hand,
>are
>not so easy. Boomerang also doesn't have to deal with sync, so the
>question
>of "what the hell do we do with the midi clock when the user is goin' mad
>on
>the delay time knob?" is not an issue for them.

Well, totally variable delay time is desirable, but being able to switch to
some musically useful ratios, (1/2, 2/3, etc.) would probably be just as
good. This could be a general master control, or perhaps the setting could
be saved per loop?

My experience is that I like to be able to record/overdub at varying
speeds, and later be free to change the playback. Now obviously you
couldn't go back and change rates in an overdubbed loop, but perhaps each
loop "register" could remember it's current setting?

Really what we all probably desire is a "quad" Echoplex with sliders for
mixing, and integeral effects with multiple sends, etcÉ

So if we take the Echoplex, Rolands new SP-808, and Davids "Fly", and put
them in a blender, we come up with something closeÉ

Mark