Re: Pivotal loop moments, or, when did you realize your

For me, my pivotal moments occured when I signed up for a class at
UCSD entitled "Introduction To Music Making".  The instructor turned
out to be a large man with an equally large laugh named George Lewis.
He said he wanted us to learn how to make music with anything instead
of just playing the usual instruments in the conventional manner.  Then
he started playing videos and recordings of himself and some weirdos he
played with like that old guy who plays his violin like he's going to
start a fire from bowing so hard, a bandleader named John Zorn, a
neck-bending guitar player named Bill... uhh... Frizz-something... :),
and other folks.

Among the many ideas he fed us for "music making" was collecting cheap
stuff from pawn shops like old analog delay pedals (this was _before_ the
vintage-anything craze), Radio Shack mixers,  cassette tapes made for
answering machines, and so on.  He said he and his buddies used this cheap
stuff (in conjunction with old boomboxes) to make loops and other noise.

All in all, it was the most enjoyable class I ever took in college.  I got
turned on to the idea that making music in less conventional ways could be
really fun.  Quite a few students left because they were pissed off by
the strange music George played (actually, most of these were the ones
that came to UCSD expecting a conservatory-type of music education and
didn't realize the contemporary music bent of its music department).  One
stayed just long enough so that he could put on his project which involved
him standing in the middle of the classroom repeating "This is bullshit!"
over and over.  I wonder what his grade was? :) Hey come to think of it,
if he had made loops of "This is bullshit!" and played them for us he
might
have actually gotten a decent grade! :) :) :)

But I think the ones that stayed were, like me, attracted to the playful
atmosphere in music-making that George fostered.   I got myself a delay
pedal and used it to make haunted-house type noises for one of the three
projects in which I participated.  Maybe I ought to dig it out again and
have more conversations with myself.

Cheers,

Paolo Valladolid