RE: Guitar-o-centrism

My response was to this particular remark:

"I think if there is one instrument that actually dominates anything in any
particular music's origins it is the Piano (IMHO) - not a synth, not a
sampler or even a violin,  just a plain old piano."

Actually this reflects MAJOR Euro-centrism. The piano has existed for a
short time, and in a small region of the world for most of that time. To
consider it as having a dominant effect to any musical origin other than
certain musics from the European Classical period and forward, is EXTREMELY
provincial.

The PC idea of ignoring historical data for the sake of sparing a belief
system doesn't help anyone in the long term. I keep having to say this
here:
I'm not referring to good guys and bad guys. But if a fundamental musical
force, in terms of instrumentation, is sought, then there are many more
valid choices than the example you offered. When pointing that out is
considered dangerous.....

Looping devices basically fall into (maybe) 3 camps: Delays, Samplers,
Sequencers. The concern with Guitarcentricity, I believe, revolves mostly
around Delays. Delays are still mainly considered Effects. Effects are
mainly considered to be the guitarist's dominion. It doesn't HAVE to be
this
way, it just is, for now. Although it is heartening if DJs view delays and
other effects as useful for their work.

Effects:
Since the late 60's, other instrumentalists have been experimenting with
effects as well, but the practice never became common (I mean as common as
guitar player with a distortion pedal). Maybe that will change. Maybe not.
Maybe it should. Maybe it shouldn't.

Delays specifically:
Dedicated delays are viewed as a narrowly focused function. Since the group
that is interested in effects is mostly guitarists, the small sub-group
interested in Long-Delays, is also going to be mostly guitarists. But, at
the same time, other musicians who are open-minded enough to experiment
with
effects anyway, are likely to be drawn to looping more readily.

I think Oberheim has its work cut out in terms of defining and developing a
market for a device such as the Echoplex. If nurturing the dance market
helps expand the user base, god bless 'em. But the guitar contingent is
still VERY important. Devices aimed at guitarists have proven beneficial to
many other musicians.

Reg

>It's the musical extension of a Mega ( negative sided ) European American
centered perspective ( Im also not trashing Euro-Americans, there are many
positive and wonderful and essential sides to their perspectives ) that
always assumes its superiority or the inferiority of something or someone
else that is not shared, experienced or valued at a level deemed
significant
by that culture.

>The very dismissiveness of those comments whether they were directly or
indirectly meant to be that way seem to be a way of thought I'd
characterize
as a sad but common in way too many guitar oriented circles. Even though Im
a synth and Sampler Dude, I was and still am for the most part a Rock Gtr
player who is interested in speaking in say...hmmmmm how to put
htis....speaking more than just one language-  that's it.

>IMHO thoughts that are circulated such as "guitar o centrisms" are
dangerous and deleterious ( pretentious word - I know ) to the sake of all
music that has been and is yet to be.

>Like and dislike are perspectives that's all & nothing more or less than
that and clearly neither good or bad in and of themselves. They're just
subjective feelings that always get taken to a level of unholy relevance.