Re: Frisell & Naked City

oh yes indeed,,ive always been partial to "Radio" .the music covers alot of
musical sub-styles,,,Naked City,,are heavy,,,to say the least,,not for the
faint,,,,but i MUST endorse those guys,,,they are hip

saw Bill Frisell play on PBS a couple of nights ago  (probably old news to
most)
"Sessions" ,,,very nice
james

At 11:47 AM 2/18/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>"Zorn Naked City stuff?" Can you be more specific, I am a bit of a
>Frisell
>>fan, and I'm not familiar with this.....
>>
>Ah yes, Naked City.  I'd love to tell you more, Marshall:
>
>John Zorn:  Alto Sax
>Bill Frisell:  Guitar
>Wayne Horwitz:  Keyboards (Wayne produced some earily Frisell Albums,
>                most notably, IMHO, _Is That You_)
>Fred Firth:  Bass (Quite a guitar inovator himself)
>Joey (is there anything this man can't do) Barron:  Drums
>Y. Eye:  Vocals
>
>A good starting place is the first album, aptly named _Naked City_.  This
>is a good overview of what this band did.  Cut and paste, at time
>"cartoonish", short improvisitions.  Zorn was heavily influnced by
>Japaneese S&M films at the time and some of that leaks through.  This
>music
>spans a number of styles, from straight-ahead jazz, to punk, country
>swing,
>and film noir music.  (Usually in the same tune)
>
>This is unlike anything you've ever heard Frisell play on.
>
>Other albums include:
>
>_Torture Garden_ (very short pieces, very punkish)
>_Radio_
>_Absenth_ (nearly ambient, Laswellish sounding)
>_Grand Guignol_ (long group improv, 5 classical pieces- Ives, Scriabin,
Lassus,
>                Debussy, Messaien) and most of the material from Torture
Garden