DIY Iliudium Pu-26 Explosive Ring Modulator

Rob Cummings wrote:

>Scott Bullerwell wrote:

>>A ring modulator, in the signal processing definition, is a
>sum-and-difference device where an input signal's frequency (say, an
>A440Hz) is added to and subtracted from an internal oscillator's frequency
>(say, 200Hz), and the sum and difference are output as two tones (in this
>case, 640Hz and 240Hz).  (The name, by the way, comes from the arrangement
>of diodes in the analog circuit--I built one years ago from plans in Craig
>Anderton's book "Electronic Projects For Musicians" and it was a gas!).<<
>
>BTW Scott, is this book still available? If so, do you know where?
>Thanks for the tip, I'm looking for some projects for the next while ...

As a matter of fact, the updated edition "Digital Projects For Musicians"
is still in print (ISBN 0825613841) and can be had from www.amazon.com for
about twenty dollars US.

>P.S. was the sound quality at least decent?

Par with most homemade analog FX (breadboard + PTP wiring, no ground
planing, badly shielded; hey, I was like twelve years old at the time!) but
plenty of fun and it made cool sounds).  Depending on your skills you might
etch your own PCB and make a nicer one--I believe Anderton's current plans
for a ring modulator use a socketed IC ring mod, and the signal quality is
probably higher than I got with surplus milspec diodes.

Good luck!  And remember not to shake hands with Mr. Electricity.

Scott Bullerwell
tanelorn@dimensional.com
Boulder, Colorado, USA