Re: ears & more

>do you hear a sound in your head?
>
>I've gotten some very interesting answers to this question, usually from
>musicians and artists.  To be clear, I don't mean tinnitus or any similar
>malady.  I believe that John Cage called it the sound of the nervous
>system
>working.  Different people's perception/non-perception of the phenomenon
>is
>quite varied and curious.

I think tinnitus is defined as any persistant sound heard by a person
which is not generated by an external source.  I used to try and comfort
myself at night that I was just hearing the sound of my nervous system or
the collective hum of the universe, but eventually it became clear that I
had a touch of tinnitus.  Tinnitus is so commonplace in the post-Walkman,
industrial world, that it's possible that everyone you'll ask has it to
some degree.

Travis Hartnett