Re: ears & more

> I think tinnitus is defined as any persistant sound heard by a person
> which is not generated by an external source.  I used to try and comfort
> myself at night that I was just hearing the sound of my nervous system
>or
> the collective hum of the universe, but eventually it became clear that
> had a touch of tinnitus.  Tinnitus is so commonplace in the
>post-Walkman,
> industrial world, that it's possible that everyone you'll ask has it to
> some degree.
>
> Travis Hartnett

I just read a newspaper article about neuroscientist Pawel J. Jastreboff
and his theory about tinnitus.  His hypothesis is that tinnitus is not
only an inner ear problem but involves abnormal electrical activity in
higher brain centers as well.  His theory is that it is possible to
retrain the brain to filter out annoying signals and be unaware of them.

One component of Jastreboff's treatment is counseling which helps patients
dissociate feelings of panic from the auditory sensations.  The other
involves a hearing aid-like device that provides a constand broadband
sound that allos the brain to pair this sound with tinnitus and to filter
both out.

This article was writted by Judy Foreman of the Boston Globe.  I read
it in the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Cheers,

Paolo Valladolid