Re: RealAudio

Jeff Schwartz wrote:

> It appears to me that, with my 14.4 modem, I cannot use
> the current version of RealAudio. Therefore, I ask that
> files be made available in .wav or .aiff format as well as
> RealAudio. I'd rather put up with long downloads than not
> be able to hear y'all!

Jeff, you might not be able to listen to _streaming_ RealAudio files,
but you can download them just like .wav or .aiff files, and then use
RealPlayer to play 'em back from your hard drive.  In order to do this,
though, you must link directly to the RealAudio file (with .ra or .rm
extension), rather than the metafile (with .ram extension), which merely
tells RealPlayer where to find the file it is supposed to stream.

A proper Web site implementation of RealAudio (such as, ahem, my own, at
http://people.delphi.com/johnpollock/sounds.htm) will offer links to
both the metafile, for streaming, and the RealAudio file, for
downloading.  Unfortunately, some sites only provide links to .ram
files. :-(

John
Troubador Tech (http://people.delphi.com/johnpollock/)