[Fwd: drum machines and looping]

From: "Matt Rowe" <mattrowe@hotmail.com>
To: nyfac2@nyfac.com
Subject: Re: drum machines and looping
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 05:40:13 PDT

>Thinking about bringing the old HR-16 out of retirement.  Now, I could
be wrong
>here but:
>
>1)   I am under the impression that one can, with a JamMan, have the
old beast
>drive the midi time to the drum machine

woohoo!  another HR-16 user.  i bought mine new, many years ago, when i
was in high school.  the interface really defined how i approach
sequencing.  and i still use it often.

i'm a EDP user, for almost a week now (thanks again to those on this
list who helped me out with that purchase), so i haven't gotten around
to midi sync-ing yet, but this is something i'm definately looking
foward to trying.  i'll have to root around to find my HR-16 manual to
see what it needs, as far as clock information.

i'm fairly certain that it's relatively easy to sync anything from the
HR-16.  i haven't actually done it yet, but it shouldn't require much
more than actually plugging in the midi cable and setting a few
parameters.

>2)  I am also under the impression that one can have the looper slave
to the
>drum machine and have the loop lengths determined by the length of the
drum
>loop, but:

this may be a bit hairier, because of the reasons you state.  you'd also
have a closed loop of midi cables, which could cause problems.

>        a) the JamMan will occassionally pop because the audio loop is
not
>sample accurate             in relation to the HR16.
>
>        b)  Odd time signatures are a problem.
>
>Now, I like the idea of having the tempo of the hr-16 vary slightly (by
setting
>the time with tapping the JM).  It would seem that option #1 would be
the way to
>go.

i really like the sliders on the HR-16.  you can use these to vary
tempo... but this isn't exactly what you're looking for.

>Now the question is-  am I deluded?

is this relevant to _this_ discussion group?

> Will this work?

option 1 should work easily.  i'm not too familiar with the jamman, or
the midi time code that the HR-16 outputs.  you'll have to read through
manuals *yikes*.

> and more importantly- has
>anyone here done this (considering the midi prowess of those on the
list here, I
>would think that (if this is possible) many of you guys have.

i'll most certainly attempt this in the upcoming week or so.  i'll
report back.

matt