smaller pedals - the DD-5

As far as the DD-5 goes, there's no infinite repeat. There is a 'hold'
mode which  infinite repeats a sample you capture but it will not accept
any further input after the first sample, so no layering. There's also an
annoying gap before the repeat

There is however a very nice trick in the reverse mode:    Set a longer
delay time and max. feedback/repeats. Anything you fly in now will repeat
backwards but as the delay duration is unpredictable in reverse, some
input will be truncated and some will be sampled for a max 2 seconds.
Everything repeated is heard backwards, repeated and fading over a
duration of a minute or so. I like slowly strumming a single chord,
listening to how it repeats and then strumming another not too dissonant
chord in an open space, perhaps strumming up if the other strum went down.
This sets up a shimmering cascade of notes that sounds like a complex
loop, but you can do it really fast.
-eric p.